A Total Solar Eclipse of the Sun.
Over 500 million people will be able to observe the August 21 total solar eclipse, in partial or total form. This is a golden opportunity to observe one of nature’s most exciting splendors.
Start Planning and securing resources now!
There are sure to be many eclipse events across the nation and products will sell out.
In the weeks leading up to August 21…
Get Educated and Learn More About Space Science
- Schedule a bus outing for residents to experience your nearest planetarium, science museum, or astronomical observatory. Ask for a guided tour and possible discussion about the upcoming eclipse.
- Invite a local speaker to your community to discuss eclipses. Speakers could include science professors or teachers or amateur astronomers (locate an astronomy club in your area at Go Astronomy or at The Astronomical League) .
If unable to secure a speaker or visit a museum – OR – in addition to these programs, show an educational DVD series:
- Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking
- How The Universe Works
- The Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson
- The Universe: The Mega Collection – history channel
- The Great Courses – Understanding the Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy
- The Martian, 2015
- Interstellar, 2014
- Gravity, 2013
- Moon, 2009
- In The Shadow of the Moon (documentary) 2007
Partner with your HR Team
Purchase (in bulk) packets of Orbit or Eclipse chewing gum. Use the gum as prizes for team members and residents in the days leading up to the eclipse.
Incorporate these “themed” gum packets into existing employee or resident programs. Fun, affordable gestures like this go a long way in promoting resident and team morale. There are endless ways to use the gum but some ideas include:
- Employee Prizes in team meetings
- Employee Appreciation Gifts – attach a note saying “You take my breath away! Keep up the good work and Thanks for all you do!”
- Resident Prizes in fitness classes
- Resident Prizes in your science lecture (include a space trivia game or have the instructor ask a few trivia questions)
Explore Science Thru Art:
Host your own Unique Galaxy Art Classes:
In the weeks leading up to August 21, offer residents the opportunity to create memorable art. Find a local artist, art teacher or an art savvy resident to lead residents in creating galaxy art. Galaxy Art ideas include:
- Watercolor Galaxy Art Cityscape
- Galaxy Glitter Magnets
- Galaxy Resin Paperweights (this one will require an instructor familiar working with resin)
Throw an Eclipse Viewing Party
If your community is well placed along the eclipse center line , set up an outdoor viewing party for residents and team members to experience the eclipse first hand. Purchase eclipse safety viewing glasses in bulk. Purchase early as they could sell out.
Live Stream the Solar Eclipse on Monday, August 21. For four hours surrounding the eclipse, NASA will host an Eclipse Mega-cast providing unique broadcast coverage. The Mega-cast will be picked up by local and national TV stations.
Choose a comfortable area in your community to live stream. Viewing party should be open house style where residents can come and go or stay for the full duration. Offer a light refreshment table with water and snacks (see below).
“Eclipse Themed” Food for Viewing Party
Set out fun and easy snacks for residents to help themselves:
- Bowl of mini or bite size “Milky Way” candy bars
- Individual bags of “Sun” Chips
- Individual cartons of “Sun” Maid Raisins
- Platter of “Moon Cheese” and Crackers (Moon cheese is just slices of Swiss Cheese)
- Moon Pies (purchased or homemade)
Decorate your viewing party or dining venues with eclipse themed balloons:
In addition to the regular dining menu, offer a special “Eclipse” themed meal:
“Sun”flower Salad, garden greens with roasted sunflower and pepita seeds
Grilled “Sun”dried Tomato Chicken, Salmon, or Pasta
Homemade Moon Pies
moon cake, sun or moon cake balls, sun shaped sugar (or sugar free) cookies, galaxy cake or cupcakes
Please see our Eclipse Board for more ideas and inspiration.
View the official NASA Eclipse 2017 website for up to date information, ideas and downloadable images.